Real Colégio de Portugal will participate for the sixth consecutive year in the Youth Parliament Program, 2nd and 3rd Cycle of Basic Education, and for the first time with the Secondary Education.
The Youth Parliament program, approved by Resolution 42/2006, of June 2, is an initiative of the Assembly of the Republic, aimed at young people in the 2nd and 3rd cycles of basic education and upper secondary education.
The program culminates with the annual holding of two National Sessions in the Assembly of the Republic:
A session for students in the 2nd and 3rd cycles of basic education;
A Session for secondary school students.
The main objectives of the program are:
- Educate for citizenship, stimulating the taste for civic and political participation;
- To make known to the Assembly of the Republic the meaning of the parliamentary mandate, the rules of parliamentary debate and the decision-making process of Parliament as a body representative of all Portuguese citizens;
- Promote democratic debate, respect for diversity of opinion and rules of decision-making;
- Encourage reflection and debate on a theme, defined annually;
- Provide the experience of participation in electoral processes;
- Stimulate the capacities of expression and argumentation in the defense of ideas, with respect for the values of tolerance and the formation of the will of the majority;
- Underline the importance of its contribution to the resolution of issues that affect its present and future individual and collective, making its proposals heard by the organs of political power.